07 September 2009

FYI

Surprise! I’m in Chile. Did you know they speak Spanish here? I’ve been assured that two months is plenty of time to learn the language and already I feel like I’m on the brink of the brink of quasi-fluency. Last night, over the first dinner with my family, I listened patiently to conversations about literature, the Chilean education system, and UFOs. I didn’t have much to contribute but I was delighted to nod my head occasionally and say .

My private apartment is at the back of the house, behind the garage; it’s small but, of course, entirely functional. I can come and go without bothering anyone, and there are no rules regarding curfew (whew). The weather, however, has not been so fortunate. Since I arrived on Tuesday it has been overcast and rainy, and I’ve only gotten a few glimpses of the Andes. Because of this I’ve waited on taking pictures, but there will be plenty soon.

This morning I hiked over to the school to take a placement exam and I’m pleased to have made it into the afternoon class, from 2 to 6. Most of the other students I encountered are German or Swiss, which I hope doesn’t set me behind making friends with them. Only two others are from the US.

Boring but obligatory blog post. Hopefully soon there will more interesting, anecdotal things to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive