11 October 2009

Chi-Chi-Chi, Le-Le-Le

For those readers who don't keep up with fútbol, last night Chile beat Colombia and now they are going to the World Cup in South Africa. Good news, yes, but an excuse for violence and debauchery in the streets. Sirens, breaking glass, lots of "Viva Chile"-ing...I thought perhaps there was another coup, but I had to remind myself that football is a matter of life and death here, and besides, it's Latin America, where people like to get riled up and hit the streets. It was exciting to walk around Plaza Italia, noticing the police barriers strewn across the street and manic fans swarming over the statue of a guy riding a horse, waving huge Chilean flags. I don't care much about the World Cup, but I know that tonight I'm glad I was in Santiago and not Bogotá.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive